Source: http://naushaduzzaman.blogspot.com/2011/02/bangladeshi-food.html
I remember that around this time last year I bought pitha almost every day. The type of pitha I always bought is called bhapa phita, a steamed type of phita made of rice flour, shredded coconut and molasses. I think it's the yummiest phita of all, especially when eaten hot in a cold weather, mmmh! I always went to the same bhapa-phita-lady since there was only one vendor among many who sold bhapa phita in the park nearby my place, that after sometime she recognized me as regular customer. She then called me small apa (sister) referring to my petite figure.
This year, even though I have seen those vendors when passing by the park but I haven't bought any single pitha yet. One of the reason is that I have never passed the park on foot as I often did last year. I was always on a rickshaw and I didn't feel like asking the rickshaw-wallah to make a stop. But today, I went home passing the park on foot. I was observing those vendors without any intention of buying when suddenly someone tapped my shoulder. I turned back, I saw a lady in sari and recognized her as my bhapa-phita-lady! She smiled to me and pointed to her bhapa phita, asking me to buy. I just smiled back.
It was really nice that my bhapa-phita-lady still recognizes and remembers me after a year, something I didn't expect. I know that people have a huge capacity to forget. Yes, people forget. And for this I am both grateful and regretful. I am grateful that oftentimes we can keep pressing on by forgetting sad experiences. I am regretful that oftentimes people also forget beautiful things in life. Like the memory of bhapa-phita eaten under the tree at a full-moon night, which now has become a distant recollection, almost surreal..

I can feel the atmosphere of winter in there. Maybe sometime in the future I can grab a plateful of pitha on the street of Dhaka.
ReplyDeleteOmnomnom! Looks delicious! What does it taste like??
ReplyDeleteMemories are so forget-yasui, right? That is good, though. I think people would go crazy if they would remember every little thing they did hehe.
And yet, I still remember you, and your delicious chicken-corn porridge, Finaaaa!! :))
By the way, I went to Odaiba with my brother the other day, and there was quite a cold breeze blowing through the park in front of TIEC. It reminded me of the day we went for a walk at night, after a powdered snow had fallen. Do you still remember that, or it also vanished within the distant recollections of your busy mind? haha ;)
Miss ya!
@Bruno: awwn!! yes, yes, of course i still remember our snowy-night walk :) not vanished ne, just being stored there haha. it was one of the most memory-bound moments in my life!
ReplyDelete