Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Karimun Jawa

So, the Indonesian in me got jealous ;p She said to me, if I write about Japan then I should also write about Indonesia. I gasped. Yah of course! I forgot that I too did have so many fun trips in my homeland. So to be fair, I will also start writing about places in Indonesia I've visited. And of course, so that you are also convinced that Indonesia is really dangerously beautiful!! :D

Karimun Jawa.

I knew about the place for the very first time when I was still in kindergarten maybe, when me, mom and my sister used to sit around our old radio every night, listening to a drama aired by a radio channel. What?! Drama radio? Yah, I know, it's so old school isn't it? Hehehe.. But back then we had no TV for quite a long time, since our black and white one was broken and my dad didn't want to replace it intentionally because he thought that TV was no good for his kids! Well, at least because of that I knew about Karimun Jawa :D

So how exactly did I know about it? The drama was a thriller, and one of the character was said to have a tunnel in his house, connecting it to a place in Karimun Jawa. Because of it, the name of the place always lingered in my mind throughout my childhood, and I always imagined it as a mysterious place. As my imagination about Karimun Jawa was getting scarier, my desire to visit it also grew bigger. I asked my mom whether the place was real, and my mom's answer was only that she was not sure. She was sure however, that there was a place somewhere in Indonesia called Karimun. But Karimun Jawa? Was it the same place?

As I started getting geography lesson in school, I came to know that there was really a place called Karimun in Indonesia. But it was located in the Straits of Malacca, not anywhere near Java. Not losing courage, I kept searching for the place. I forget when exactly, but my quest was not in vain, I finally found it!! I finally learned that Karimun Jawa is a little archipelago just above Java coast and are part of larger residency called Jepara. Maybe because of these reasons that it was never mentioned in any Indonesian geography book (Please correct me if I am wrong!).

Not only that I learned about the location, I also came to know that Karimun Jawa archipelago is a beautiful marine national park, where people come for diving. Owh, my desire to visit grew huge now! The chance didn't come however until I met Louise, the girl in my first work place who was also curious about Karimun Jawa and  tried to go there once but was unsuccessful because the weather was bad that the ferry didn't operate. Having a mutual mission, we started to plan our trip in detail and did our first attempt in December almost 4 years ago. We were almost close to success on our first attempt. We sat excitedly on the speed boat that would take us to Karimun Jawa from Semarang, when suddenly the captain announced that they canceled the trip, again because of the weather! You have to see Louise's face at that moment, she was sooo disappointed :D But me too!!

We were not so easy to be defeated though, and immediately planned our second attempt (well, third  for Louise :D). This time we recruited more people to come along, and this time it was a mission possible!! Phew!!

The team, in the beginning, soooo excited!! :)

On the speed boat, we met other two backpackers who then decided to join us in exploring the islands, and who later led our fate to meet other fellow Share Travelers. Long story short, we spent the whole 4 fantastic days exploring the islands, and we went home full of appreciation and satisfaction. So here are the pictures from our trip there.. 


        

                          








 And this is the whole team, at the end of the trip, everyone was soo happy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't hate comments, so don't hesitate to leave some ^^