China Eastern Airline,
for giving me the opportunity to cross China in 1 day!!
This cheapest travel plan I found at Skygate brought me down to Shanghai (without me knowing it) all the way from Tokyo, then up North to Beijing (well, I knew that I would be transferred here at least) and then down to Kunming (again without me knowing it!) which made the-half-awaken-me super shocked and thought I was getting in the wrong flight, and finally down further South to Dhaka..
Well ya, at least I got to travel around China (without exploring the cities unfortunately) :D
To add to the hysteria, I arrived at 1.20 am in the morning in the rather chaotic Dhaka international airport. The person who was supposed to pick me up didn't appear, and I was left stranded for quite some time; trying to sleep while keeping my belongings safe at the same time. And when finally I made my way to the lodge, no one knew that I was supposed to arrive in Dhaka today!! Oh my!!
Better still, I got to meet this person who asked me casually, "Returning home now?", when the super-sleepy-me trying to be friendly to a stranger at Kunming airport, and later it turned out that this same person happened to be the dean of James P. Grant School of Public Health, and a good friend of my beloved professor back in Tokyo, and the spouse of my supervisor here at ICDDR,B!!!
And of course I was so thankful for the Bangladeshi businessman I met in the plane who calmed me down when I started panicking at Kunming, for Terry the Chinese guy who accompanied me all early morning long talking nonsense while stranded at Dhaka international airport, for Nazir sahib the hotelier from Radisson who helped me finding a trustworthy taxy to bring me to the lodge, and several other people I met along the way. Looking back to the journey, I wonder how God could be so kind sending me those people!!
Well, well, what an experience! At least I am here now in Dhaka, safe and sound, ready to kick off the internship at ICDDR,B. Oh yeah, more stories to come!!
PS: Since I will be using the same route (only that it will be the other way round) to go back to Tokyo later, maybe I should consider stopping and roaming around in those cities, don't you think? Mmmhh..
for giving me the opportunity to cross China in 1 day!!
This cheapest travel plan I found at Skygate brought me down to Shanghai (without me knowing it) all the way from Tokyo, then up North to Beijing (well, I knew that I would be transferred here at least) and then down to Kunming (again without me knowing it!) which made the-half-awaken-me super shocked and thought I was getting in the wrong flight, and finally down further South to Dhaka..
Well ya, at least I got to travel around China (without exploring the cities unfortunately) :D
To add to the hysteria, I arrived at 1.20 am in the morning in the rather chaotic Dhaka international airport. The person who was supposed to pick me up didn't appear, and I was left stranded for quite some time; trying to sleep while keeping my belongings safe at the same time. And when finally I made my way to the lodge, no one knew that I was supposed to arrive in Dhaka today!! Oh my!!
Better still, I got to meet this person who asked me casually, "Returning home now?", when the super-sleepy-me trying to be friendly to a stranger at Kunming airport, and later it turned out that this same person happened to be the dean of James P. Grant School of Public Health, and a good friend of my beloved professor back in Tokyo, and the spouse of my supervisor here at ICDDR,B!!!
And of course I was so thankful for the Bangladeshi businessman I met in the plane who calmed me down when I started panicking at Kunming, for Terry the Chinese guy who accompanied me all early morning long talking nonsense while stranded at Dhaka international airport, for Nazir sahib the hotelier from Radisson who helped me finding a trustworthy taxy to bring me to the lodge, and several other people I met along the way. Looking back to the journey, I wonder how God could be so kind sending me those people!!
Well, well, what an experience! At least I am here now in Dhaka, safe and sound, ready to kick off the internship at ICDDR,B. Oh yeah, more stories to come!!
PS: Since I will be using the same route (only that it will be the other way round) to go back to Tokyo later, maybe I should consider stopping and roaming around in those cities, don't you think? Mmmhh..
Wow!!! So nice!! How many hours was your flight? I think you should give yourself the opportunity of walking a little bit around the cities, if your connection time and your visa status allows you to do so! :D.. China is really a fantastic country.
ReplyDeleteAnd, yeah, do your best there! Bring some more of your light to Bangladesh people. I am pretty much sure you will be back with lots of interesting stories to share with us! ^^
God bless you, always.
See you soon!
Explore those Chinese cities next time! I'll be happy to read your stories :)
ReplyDeleteand good luck with the internship!
@ Bruno: Thx Bruno, I will for sure do my best here :) I am so not confident actually with all those students from John Hopkins and Harvard scaterring around. Wish me luck!
ReplyDeleteAbout the flight, it took me almost 14 hours in total. So ur 30 hr something flight from Brazil is still the winner lol :D And oh btw, aren't you biased in thinking that China is a fantastic country?? Ahem..
@ Damar: Maunya begitu Dam. Menurutmu bakalan bisa ga sih tiap kali flight berikutnya minta diundurin sehari? Lumayan kan sehari di sini sehari di sana, halah.. :D
Oee!! What do you mean by saying I'm biased? u__u
ReplyDeleteBut yeah, I admire the chinese CULTURE a lot. I like kanji, I like Zen, and I do Kung Fu! So, yeah, maybe I am biased. XDD
Fina, Fina! Show Harvardians that Toudaijins and Indonesians are the real deal!!! Hahaha ^^
How wonderful! Your long long day turned into a the nice meetups. Enjoy the internship, don't forget to tour those cities when you have time. :)
ReplyDelete@ Bruno: Yeaaa!!
ReplyDelete@ Winnie: Thx Winnie! How's your work there?
Tentu bisa tiap flight diundurin sehari.. tapi mungkin ada biaya tambahan. Eh kalo ke China repot nggak tuh visa-nya?!
ReplyDeleteThanks for asking. Work is busy, reading, papers, lab ... Have a great day :)
ReplyDelete