
The Contented Fisherman
The rich industrialist from the North was horrified to find the Southern fisherman lying lazily beside his boat, smoking a pipe.
"Why aren't you out fishing?" said the industrialist.
"Because I have caught enough fish for the day," said the fisherman.
"Why don't you catch some more?"
"What would I do with it?"
"You could earn more money" was the reply. "With that you could have a motor fixed to your boat and go into deeper waters and catch more fish.
"Then you would make enough to buy nylon nets. These would bring you more fish and more money. Soon you would have enough money to own two boats . . . maybe even a fleet of boats. The you would be a rich man like me."
"What would I do then?"
"The you could really enjoy life."
"What do you think I am doing right now?"
- Anthony de Mello
One of the favorite topics of discussion besides exam during our final year was pertaining to our future, "Should I become a specialist? What field should I choose? How far should I go in my medical career? Would I have time for social life? Would I regret and be too late by then?"
The above story doesn't suggest that we should stop improving ourselves. It only teaches us about contentment. It reminds us to ponder on what we really want in life and do we need that to be happy? It is an individual choice to decide how far we want to go in our medical career. Don't follow the crowd! Whatever decision we make, we must remember that:
SUCCESS IS A JOURNEY, NOT A DESTINATION
- taken from DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY, a medical student's motivational and inspirational guide
by Phang Cheng Kar, MD.
Reflection:
In my clinic last week, there was a man who came with depression because he got a new job that gives him a lot of money but leave him with less time to spend with his wife and children. He told me that he will quit, because for him the true contentment is quality time with his family.
This man, the above story, and the article written by dr.Phang Cheng Kar were really helpful for me in setting back to ponder upon what really important in my life -what my calling, burden, and desire really is; the things that will make me happy; my priorities-, in the middle of my panic and urge to follow the crowd in seeing that almost everyone of my fellow doctors is rushing toward specialty..
So, what is your calling? What are your priorities in life? What are the things that make you happy?
Be brave, and dare to be different!!
July 9th 2009
Repost from Facebook
No comments:
Post a Comment
I don't hate comments, so don't hesitate to leave some ^^